Friday, March 13, 2009

Buddhism Books

Several of you asked what books I'm reading on Buddhism. Here are a few I use for research that I've had in my collection for years. Most are texts used at university. They help me to get my facts right! I like to give some historical background before I talk about the *art*.

The first is Religions of Asia. The general editor is Robert K.C. Forman and is the third edition. It was used as a text.

The next is my all time favorite for figuring out the iconography of Buddhist art. Reading Buddhist Art: An Illustrated Guide To Buddhist Signs and Symbols by Meher McArthur, published by Thames and Hudson, 2002.

India:The Cultural Companion by Richard Waterstone is a book I found remaindered at Barnes and Noble. This book describes the main themes in the Hindu, Buddhist, Jain and other spiritual traditions of India.


The Buddhist Religion: A Historical Introduction (fourth edition) by Robinson and Johnson was used as a textbook. This may be my favorite as far as historical information on the Buddhist tradition worldwide.

I don't know if this helps anyone! There are others in our library. Many art books from the Met.
Loads of books on the Dalai Lama and Tibetan Buddhism.

3 comments:

The Bodhi Chicklet said...

Well, yes it does help. It's always good to have an opinion on a vast library of material on one subject. I do like to read Pema Chodron. She seems to have such a human side to her buddhism.

Sarah Sullivan said...

Oh thank you Snap!!!! Sarah

Rosa said...

Thank you! Somehow I missed this post! I find it all so fascinating. xo