Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Thwack!


What did you see when you first glanced at this photo?

The room was dark when I turned the page in the calendar.

I glanced at the page and thought I saw a woman in black.

THWACK!
(The sound of the Zen Master's rod as it hit the student for falling asleep at the wheel.)

Turn on the lights (I said to myself).

Look again.

It is a cormorant fishing with his tail feathers in the air.

So, I told myself to put my tail feathers in the air and wiggle them.

Tell my Monkey Mind to go sit in the corner.

Stay in the moment.

Enjoy each moment.

Don't look back or forward.

Deal with each day.

***

Mr. Dragon begins his fight against cancer with chemotherapy and radiation therapy next week. We ask, once again, for your good thoughts, prayers, good vibes, juju as the fight begins. We have been together 28 years and we would like 28 years more. So, we are turning our tail feathers up, wiggling them and going for it!

***

The photo is from the Metropolitan Museum calendar, Utamaro's Egret and Cormorant (from Myriad Birds in a picture book of comic verse, polychrome woodblock print, ink and color on paper).


13 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh Snap, I am so sorry to hear about Mr. Dragon... I wasn't aware that you all had been through this before--so this is all news to me. My love and prayers are with both of you. May God Bless You.... Keep your tail feathers up---and go for it!!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

My prayers and well wishes are being sent your way. I did not know that Mr Dragon was fighting cancer and my heart goes out to the both of you in the time to come. Stick those tail feathers in the air!!

The Bodhi Chicklet said...

I, too, saw a woman in a cloak in water up to her waist, with her arms stretching out beneath the water. Thwack! I will keep you both in my prayers. I hope you have a good support system with you while this transpires. I'll wiggle my tail feathers too.

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com said...

It's strange, I got the saddest vibes from you yesterday and didn't know why.

I will send tons and tons of good energy and hope he will get through his treatment as painlessly as possible and recover SOON.

HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS

Kim Mailhot said...

Ah, Beautiful Snap, tail feathers, thoughts, positivity, and juju up and also circling around you and Mr. Dragon as you begin the fight. Sending circles of white light and love...

Sherry said...

Snap, you know that Mr. Dragon has all the good ju-ju (or whatever!) coming his way. It's a fight to be sure but he's got his gloves and he's got you in the ring with him and as a survivor I'm giving him the big ^5 of "go get 'em"!!!! All prayers and good thoughts are going h is way.

As for what I saw -- first I noticed the writing in the top left corner and then when I looked at the photo I saw the bird feet under the water...but tell that Zen master to put away the stick...on first glance you could see a woman in black!

Janet said...

Snap, I had no idea Mr Dragon was facing this challenge. (Where have I been?) You know my thoughts, prayers, good vibes, juju and anything else good I can think of will be sent your way. And just for good measure I'll toss in a few hugs, too.

Barb said...

Many, many good wishes coming your way from CO for Mr Dragon! I like this post a lot, Snap. First of all, it speaks to what is reality and what we "see" in our minds and hearts. Second, though at first I saw a rather sinister image, I now feel it as happy. Perhaps we should always take time before judging?

Unknown said...

I'm sending positive thoughts your way!

Crafty Christina said...

Snap, you and Mr. Dragon are in my thoughts and prayers as well. I am praying that you both have 50 more years together!

nonizamboni said...

Jujus for you and Mr. Dragon. I won't forget you. Here's to LIFE!

Sally in WA said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Mr. Dragon. That was interesting picture. I didn't see the cormorant at first.

Anonymous said...

Blessings to you both Snap. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.