Sunday, December 13, 2009

Sacred Sunday

Fall Color






December 11, 2009
Intention and Intuition
The Purpose of an Altar

If you didn’t grow up with an altar in your home, having an altar now may seem like an exotic and unattainable idea. Yet having an altar does not have to be complicated or difficult, nor does it need to be based on a religion or a set of ideas that don’t seem to relate to you. An altar can be a simple, personal expression of what you want to focus on right now. You do not have to build anything or take up a lot of space. You do not have to buy anything new or follow a complex set of instructions to create your altar. All you have to do is have a general understanding of what an altar is and the willingness to allow yourself access to this wonderful, ancient tool of transformation.

At its most essential, an altar is simply a raised structure that serves as a resting place for meaningful objects. It focuses the eye and provides a place for contemplation and, if so desired, ritual. All of these elements can be quite simple. One idea for a simple altar is a pot with a bulb planted in it, set on a box. This altar to growth can act as a reminder to you that all living things bloom in their time. A simple ritual might be to write down dreams you would like to see come to fruition on scraps of paper. You might place these scraps of paper in the box, or under the flowerpot, or in an envelope you prop against the pot. As the flower grows, so will your dreams.

If you look around your home, you may find that you have already created altar like arrangements without even really thinking about it; this is something we humans do quite naturally. A candle, a decorative box, and a vase of flowers are just a few of the common household objects that lend themselves naturally to the creation of an altar. Simply add intention and intuition, and you have created your first altar. Remember that it isn’t necessarily about the objects you place at your altar—it is the time you spend with it daily, taking the time to be with it for your sacred time.

For more information visit dailyom.com.

11 comments:

Pretty Things said...

I love the words "Sacred Sunday". And the leaf photo is so serene. Wonderful post!

Kim Mailhot said...

I have always had an altar or two in my home from the time I was allowed to "decorate" my room myself. An extension of my journal, really, and a place to give thanks for what I so appreciate in the world.
May this Sunday be full of sacred time for you and your hubby.
Big Love, Snap !

storyteller said...

Lovely leaf ... perfect sharing for Sacred Sunday ;-)
Hugs and blessings,
Sacred Ruminations

Wildflowerhouse said...

I have always had a "peaceful" place where I can go to be quiet and just let myself go. It always has a flower ,some water and a candle. I guess that's my altar. I hope you are both enjoying the holidays and feeling well. Sharon

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Neat post, Snap, about the altar. I have a particular area (top of a bookcase) that is my altar. It has favorite pictures, one of my clocks, a Bible --and other special odds and ends. It is a special area --but I had never thought before to call it an altar. NEAT post..
Hugs,
Betsy

Barbara said...

Dear Snap,
I've never had an alter in my home. But I kind of like the idea. Not only because it reminds me to remember my spirituality, but because it might force me to pause for a moment during the day to think outside my box. To reach for something higher.

Also, reading Sarah's comments today. My thoughts are with you and Mr. Dragon. Hope he's feeling better. Take care, Snap. xoxo B

Anya said...

Nice red leaf
its freezing here
no leaves all is gone ..... LOL
(@^.^@)

Barb said...

Hi Snap,

I have an altar stump in the woods - I've posted about it. When I can't actually go to it, I think about it - picture it in my mind - when I meditate. It gives me a peaceful feeling. Thanks for this post; it's a good reminder to focus our thoughts toward something positive.

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com said...

I got your letter!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Kate Tracton said...

Hey, Snap!! When I clicked my way over here, I thought I made a wrong turn, but, no! It's a facelift, and it's beautiful. Love the new look.

I'm afraid the only alter I have in my house is the one in the kitchen closet that I made to... chocolate! :)

Seriously, I like this post, and will try it.

hugs,

Kate

Sherry said...

This post has given me a great deal to think about Snap, and it's also given me a sense of "peace". I've never really thought about having an altar (until recently) and yet, the way you describe it I probably have had throughout my life without being aware of the fact that this is indeed what I've been creating.

I'm seeking that inner peace these days and I think creating a proper altar for myself is exactly what I'm looking for.

xo