Friday, January 14, 2011

Winter Dreams

So many of you are dealing with winter issues.
Snow, snow and more snow.
Cold, cold and more cold.

When I saw this snowy postcard I knew it was the one for 




This is a postcard from another of the wonderful Pomegranate postcard books -
this one on Charles Addams.

Addams (1912-1989) worked mainly in black and white, using ink wash to great and spooky effect, but he turned out the occasional colorful New Yorker cover. 

"A three-time college dropout, Charles Addams was nevertheless an erudite, urbane, and - leaving aside his substantial collection of medieval weaponry - evidently quite normal man. The New Yorker published its first Chas Addams cartoon in the early thirties, and a few years later signed him on as a salaried artist at $35 a week. Nearly all of his 1,300 published cartoons appeared in The New Yorker over the course of a 50 year career.

Addams is probably most closely associated with the wraiths, ghoouls, thugs, and toadlike children who populate a desolate Victorian mansion - the characters, initially unnamed by their creator, who became known as the Addams Family. Gomez, Morticia, and their sinister servants and feral offspring gave rise to a silly but fondly remembered television show and two silly and very funny movies."

From Chas Addams: A Book of Postcards published by Pomegranate.

I'll spend the rest of the day humming the theme song to the Addams family!

A big thank you to Beth for hosting Postcard Friendship Friday.

Wishing you well, a Joy filled weekend, and some sun to warm you!



20 comments:

Sarah Sullivan said...

LOL I loooove that! I have always loved his work..no surprise there I guess. This one struck gold with me...I so want to do that..just bask in the sun with all the glittery stuff outside! But only for a day..cause I love the winter!
Sending hugs your way ..can I do anything for ya hon? Love, Sarah

The Bodhi Chicklet said...

Oh yes, that's me in the solarium, fully sunscreened, of course. Wonderful things I learn from you. $35 a week! I think a lot of artists today would be tickled to be making that now! Happy Friday and weekend, Snap.

Pondside said...

That made me smile!

Janet said...

Once again, I've learned something by visiting with you. I knew "of" Chas Addams but knew nothing about him other than the obvious Addams Family. What an interesting character. And the postcard is lovely....the perfect way to enjoy the snow!

Pat - Arkansas said...

How fun! I loved The Addams Family. Nice to know how it started.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I would love a sunroom like this! :) I recognized Adams style right away. He had so many of his cartoons in the New Yorker magazine over the years! I also love Pomeganate stationery and journals.

Tracy said...

HAH, oh great, now I'll be humming the theme song to the Addams Family! conmplete with snaps...

I love the post card...I need the warmth right now; not a very good winter person which is why I live in NC :) Enjoy your day!.

Joy said...

Love Addams, he never fails to amuse. I could do with a solarium like that, I've had enough of winter.

Funoldhag said...

Wouldn't it be nice? Carol

Postcardy said...

That looks like a great way to enjoy the winter sunshine.

Dorincard said...

If you can create your little sunny paradise, a bubble in a winterstorm - great! :)

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

Isn't that just perfect for this time of year! No need for S A D there.

Terry said...

Howdy Snap
Happy PFF to you !
Great postcard and I really enjoyed all the background information as an added bonus.
Thank you for this special treat.
Now I only have one question how do I stop snapping my fingers to that all too familiar tune ???
Seriously I had a wonderful time reading your post today :)
Have a fabulous rest of the weekend .
Until next time
Happy Trails

Barb said...

I heard on the news that 49 states now have snow. Only FL is exempt. So, yes, your card is apt!

viridian said...

Perfect! Love the green plants. Happy PFF.

Wildflowerhouse said...

Love this one. So peaceful.

Aimee said...

That's just what my house needs this week!

Happy PFF!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Even though our name is spelled differently--- I love to play that song and say "Hello... This is the Adams' family." ha ha ha

Yes---most of us have had snow this past week... Perfect postcard... Thanks, Snap.
Hugs,
Betsy

Max said...

Although Addams is generally gloomy (but funny), this cartoon is filled with warmth. Thanks for posting.

LiT Web Studio said...

aha! Chas Addams created the Addams Family?! thanks for telling me something i didn't know...or reminding me of something i think i might have known once...but had forgotten ;-)
happy PFF!