Sunday, January 31, 2010

Soup Time!



I've been trying to make lots of different soups for Mr. Dragon. I'll try to remember to post the recipes for you -- only if they are good! We are trying to stick to mostly vegetarian eating while we wait for surgery. Build him up! Here's the lentil soup recipe I used, with my notes. You know I never make anything exactly as the recipe is written! I hope you enjoy.


Lentil Soup

1 package (16 ounces) dry lentils (do not soak lentils in water)
1 ham bone with meat
2 medium onions chopped
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrots
1 large clove garlic, minced (we like garlic so I added more)
1/4 cup tomato paste (I used one small can. We like spicy and I added one can of Rotel tomatoes and green chile.)
2 tablespoons wine vinegar (I didn’t have wine vinegar. I suppose you could add a 1/4 cup of wine!)
1 bay leaf
7 cups water (I used 3 cups of vegetable stock that I had leftover and 4 cups of water.)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

1. Cook onions, celery, carrots and garlic in large 5-quart Dutch oven in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil.

2. Add lentils, water, and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer until done. Remove ham bone and let cool. Remove meat and add to soup. Discard bay leaf before serving.

This makes a huge amount. Lots of delicious leftovers. Watch the liquid. You may have to add more depending upon how soupy you like your soup! Also, I don’t salt or pepper. The ham bone usually adds enough seasoning.

Enjoy!


8 comments:

Janet said...

Yum! I like just about any kind of soup....this one sounds delicious. I'll give it a try. Hmmm, let's see now....where did I leave that fire extinguisher?

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Thanks for this recipe, Snap... I grew up eating lentils---but haven't had any in a long long time. I'd love that soup--and on a cold, winter day, it sounds wonderful. Thanks!
Hugs,
Betsy

Barb said...

Looks delicious and hearty in that viney bowl! Hope Mr Dragon did well on his stress test.

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com said...

Lentil soup is my favourite! I use veggie seasoning, red lentils (70 ml or so), 2 potatoes, 1/2 onion, maybe garlic, 1 carrot, black pepper and salt. Cook fifteen minutes, serve with crème fraiche and herbal salt. Pretty close to your recipe!

The Bodhi Chicklet said...

Soup is just what my cold bones need! What kind of lentils did you use? Red/orange, tiny brown ones or larger green ones? I do love lentils too.

Barbara said...

Yum, Snap! This looks so good. Thanks for the recipe!

Luck and white light to Mr. Dragon!

EG CameraGirl said...

Sounds GOOD!

Rosa said...

Oh this looks so delish! I have to try it. Thanks for the recipe!! Now I'm hungry, again. xo