Friday, April 10, 2015

Potpourri



- I love daffodils!


Daffodils


- I love iris.
My Granny and my Mother grew the most beautiful bearded iris.
All different colors. They were amazing.
I have not been able to grow bearded iris here, although I do know folks who do.
Perhaps I'll try again.
But, I did try growing Louisiana Iris and have my first blooms.


Louisiana Iris


- The Louisiana Iris is a native American iris.
This is Black Gamecock.
I planted the rhizomes 2 years ago and this is the first year they have bloomed.
Dark and dramatic, it's really hard not to touch the velvety looking petals.


Louisiana Iris


- I've been walking into the village early in the morning to have breakfast.
The earlier the better as the heat and humidity are arriving.

- Time to have the AC serviced.

- Do you like urban fantasy or magical realism?
If so, I've found a new author for you ... at least he was new for me.
Alex Bledsoe.
I started with The Hum and The Shiver and recently completed Wisp of a Thing.
The Hum and The Shiver was named one of the Best Fiction Books of 2011 by Kirkus Reviews.
Set in the mountains of Tennesse. Who are the Tufa? Lots of music and myth.
You'll ask yourself if you feel the hum or the shiver!


Wishing YOU well and much joy!


A big THANK YOU to Nancy for hosting Random 5 Friday.

13 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Good Morning, I love the daffies and the pretty irises.. Lovely images.. Have a happy Friday and weekend ahead!

Michelle said...

Lovely Iris and thanks for the book suggestion. I have it written down!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

My Rare One has some beautiful "root beer iris" growing in her front flower bed. They are so large and the most amazing shade of rich brown!

Anonymous said...

Iris are so gorgeous. Blue flag is my favorite, have some wet ground here, might be able to grow some too if we ever fully melt. 2" snow yesterday....Daylillies are trying to pop up. But oh to have a blank slate. Garden planning is on my mind. Your's I know is so wonderful. xox

Donna said...

I also love daffs and iris...my daffs hopefully will start blooming soon but the iris will be a while yet...

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Good morning! Purple irises are the prettiest ones!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I'm in good company with others who like daffodils and irises. I only grow iris siberica - likely what you're sharing here as I've had worms and rot with the bearded variety in my heavy clay soil.
So, what are you having for breakfast each morning? :-)
I came across the last post for the R5F where Nancy said she was having issues with data overages from hosting her party. Now I'm wondering how, and if this might affect me with Mosaic Monday...
Have a good weekend Sharon, stay cool!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

The flowers are fabulous - I think daffodils are my favorite.

Dorothy Borders said...

I love iris, also, and have never had any success growing them. I haven't tried Louisiana iris. Maybe i will.

Dotti said...

We have so many daffs, different varieties, early, mid, late. We love them. Tulips, too, but no iris. However, I must say, I've been more and more drawn to them the last few years. Maybe ...

PS - Sorry I didn't get back to you about the postcard swap. You caught me at a busy time. I have not done the swap the last two years and have none on hand. But thanks for thinking of me! :-D

Bonny Bonafilla said...

What super flowers. The iris are the kings. I've got a load of them in my garden and it's impossible to kill them (a fundamental requirement of a good garden plant in my view). Thank you for the book recommendation. I'll have to check it out. Wishing you a lovely weekend, Bonny

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I love daffodils and iris too, but never see them growing any more (too hot in SW Florida). Thanks for your pretty pictures and for the memories of Spring as it used to be.

Vee said...

Oh there's my answer already! It really is a stunning flower.