Thursday, July 8, 2010

Postcard Friendship Friday

Postcard Friendship Friday is hosted every week by the lovely Beth.
Be sure to visit to see all the wonderful postcards.

I have three more linen postcards to share with you.

One at a time! Two more weeks worth!


Postcard Carlsbad Caverns Elevator Building



ELEVATOR BUILDING AT THE CARLSBAD CAVERN NATIONAL PARK, NEW MEXICO




Postcard Carlsbad Caverns Elevator Building

ELEVATOR BUILDING AT CARLSBAD CAVERNS NATIONAL PARK NEW MEXICO
In this building, the Government has provided two high speed passenger elevators between the surface and 750 foot level. Many Visitors make the caverns trip down on foot and then return to surface by the elevator.

I googled on the elevator building and things really haven't changed much over the years. From the Visitor's Center, you can choose to take an elevator directly to the "Big Room" (the easy way), or walk into the caverns, by way of the Natural Entrance (the hard way!). If you choose the Natural Entrance, you can still see the "Big Room"... but if you choose the elevator, you'll miss out on the leg-straining mile-long, 750 foot descent.

Some fun facts about the elevators:
- The elevators make the 754 foot trip in 57 seconds
- The two passenger elevators make 49,000 round trips a year, totaling 14,000 miles
- If one elevator fails, visitors can be transferred into the other elevator

Happy PFF!


18 comments:

LiT Web Studio said...

a wonderful card...i just love linens! the thought of this elevator shaft fills me with dread though...not sure i'd have the courage! happy PFF!

Paul van Yperen said...

An elevator in a cavern. That's new to me, but it sounds like a great idea. And your linen cards are beautiful. Happy PFF!

Beth Niquette said...

I love the linens--they are wonderful. I enjoyed reading your post, too--I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your Linen collection!

Dorincard said...

Very sun-kissed building...
Looks like a LEGO building. :)

Mary said...

Caverns seems to be popping up all over! There's also an elevator into the Sea Lion Caves on the coast of Oregon. Very cool place.

Beautiful card!

viridian said...

I am lovin' linens too. I just bought 2 sets from a thrift store. I like how they made this building similar to a typical adobe building - so that it fits in with the surroundings.

Funoldhag said...

I am learning things about postcards - did not realize there were linen ones. Beautiful card.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great vintage postcard, Snap.... I've never been to Carlsbad Caverns---but I have taken elevators like that before at other places. Glad there are two elevators at Carlsbad... Hope they both don't break at the same time....

Hugs,
Betsy

Aimee said...

Wonderful card! glad they have more than one elevator...just in case!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a fun post! I've been on that elevator...years ago! Brings back memories! Thanks! ♥

Max said...

Great card. I love the architecture they added on to what is essentially just a single purpose machine (ok, two purposes -- up and down).

Unknown said...

Wonderful postcard, and your photographs are amazing by the way. I was just peeking at blogs trying to catch up, I feel so out of the loop lately. I have been creating up a storm and haven't come up for air much lately. By the way you won Vanessa's giveaway from A Fanciful Twist.

Congratulations. Karen

Crafty Christina said...

Great card! I love the vintage look.

Anonymous said...

I am loving these linen post cards and your historical info to go along with them.....xox Corrine

Linda said...

I'd definitely take the long way to avoid the elevator breaking down!

Aimee Dars said...

Great card and interesting update!

Adrienne Zwart said...

I'd be going down the hard way. I've never been a huge fan of elevators anyhow, and try to avoid them whenever possible. (Although, I think I might be tempted when it was time to go back up!)

Janet said...

Been there, done that! I have a cousin in Carlsbad and when I visit we always go to the caverns.