Saturday, May 22, 2010

Reading

The Open Road: The Global Journey of the XIVth Dalai Lama The Open Road: The Global Journey of the XIVth Dalai Lama by Pico Iyer



I don't know where to start! I mentioned several times to Mr. Dragon that I never write in books ... just one of my *laws*, but I sure wanted to write in this one. Finally, after hearing me say this daily, Mr. D looked at me and said "write in the book"!!! So I did. There is just so much in it that I want to remember and look at again. Pico Iyer in this book "tried to be a general reader speaking to other general readers, and bringing little more than the curiosity and interest of a journalist who has never practiced Buddhism and knows little about it but is intrigued to see how it might expand the thinking of anyone, Buddhist and non-Buddhist alike." He looks at the paradoxes of the Dalai Lama's position -- religious leader, monk and the head of state of a government in exile. He looks at the Dalai Lama's work and ideas as a politician, scientist, philosopher and the idea of globalism. There's just to much to talk about and review. One of the delights of this book comes at the end under the section READING ... book after book on Tibet, Buddhism, the life of the Dalai Lama ... a lifetime of reading. Iyer first met the Dalai Lama through his father some 30 years ago and has published five books on modern globalism.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would be grand if we had endless lifetimes just to read. Now I will have to look at this one. Thanks
for sharing. As a former bookseller in another time, I would write in all my books, fold pages, totally irreverent, but I think books are meant to be used, used and used up! xox Corrine

Dorothy Borders said...

So many good books, so little time... Here's another one to add to my "to be read" list.

Anonymous said...

I read on another blog, we know we're getting old when we realize we'll never be able to all the books we want. I'm sure going to give it a try!