Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Words On Wednesday






It's no secret that I'm a big baseball fan.
I enjoy watching all ages play.
It's one of the things I like most about baseball -- anyone can play.
Young, old, male, female, tall or short.




America Plays Ball/Kids
From the postcard collection
AMERICA PLAYS BALL: Historical Baseball Photographs from the Library of Congress.



 And, baseball has been popular for a long time.



Dream
Collage done for ICAD 2016


No surprise that I not only enjoy watching baseball,
but I also enjoy reading about baseball. 



baseball books

One of my favorite baseball books is
BASEBALL HAIKU: The Best Haiku Ever Written About The Game 
Edited by Cor Van Den Heuvel and Nanae Tamura.
This book has been in my library for years and is one I really enjoy.
It combines two of my loves: baseball and haiku.

Some of the most important haiku poets of both America and Japan 

are featured in this anthology.
Poets like Jack Kerouac, a longtime baseball fan who pioneered English-language haiku

Empty baseball field

-- A robin,
Hops along the bench


and Masaoka Shiki, one of the four great pillars of Japanese haiku and was

instrumental in popularizing baseball in Japan during the 1890's.


Spring breeze
this grassy field makes me
want to play catch



TEAMMATE: My Journey in Baseball and a World Series For the Ages

by David Ross and Don Yaeger is my new baseball book for this year.
David Ross (AKA Grandpa Rossy) was the backup catcher for the cubs in 2016, mostly catching Jon Lester. This is his story, from his early days in the big leagues to his final year in baseball with the Cubs in 2016. What a way to retire! Lots of life lessons. What it takes to be a good teammate and play the game the way it should be played. It was interesting to read about concussion and its effects on Ross. A fun baseball book!


What's on your reading list?


Wishing YOU well and much joy!



6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

And I bet your favourite baseball movie is "Field of Dreams" -- amiright? It's certainly mine.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I love the haiku, very nice! Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

Mac n' Janet said...

We're big baseball fans too and liked David Ross when he played for the Atlanta Braves.

riitta k said...

That old photo with kids is absolutely adorable ❤︎ We play in Finland a bit same game that is called 'pesäpallo'. Wishing you a lovely Sunday!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Baseball! The only sport I enjoy watching. Sadly of late our Seattle Mariners never seem to keep players long enough to get attached to.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

I love baseball, too! My son is taking me and the hubs to a Seattle Mariners (we live in WA state) and Boston Red Sox (we grew up near Boston) game in July. We are so excited. The books sound great and who knew baseball and haiku could go hand in hand?! Love the old photo. - Karen