Thursday, July 14, 2016

This and That






I googled "subscription boxes" and was really surprised by what google found.
I had no idea there were so many.
There's KitNip for cats, Cat Lady for cat ladies, Blue Apron and Hello Fresh for food.
Bark for dogs. Birch Box for cosmetics.
Art Snack for artists (and wanna-bes).
And that's just the tip of the iceberg.
I'm sure if you can imagine a box, there is one. 


Why my sudden interest in boxes?

I heard about My Texas Market and decided to give it a try.

They send carefully-curated boxes filled with small batch, 

artisan items from local Texas businesses to subscribers every month. 



My Texas Market


I started with their July box that celebrates My Texas Market turning one.


My Texas Market



I had a good time opening the box.
A lot of information was provided about the contents.
There's cajeta from my favorite goat farmers at Blue Heron Farm.
Peach Jam from the The Peach Boys (too bad the sample jar is so small). 
A soy cupcake scented candle from Ecobabe.
Cookie mix (gluten free) from Bona Dea.
Cornucopia Popcorn, Patriot Pop.


All Texas artisans and small businesses and
10% of all profits are donated to the Houston Food Bank.
I like that! 


2. The Tour de France has started.
The countryside is so pretty.
Great history.
Armchair traveling at its best.
Let the cyclists do all the work!

Credit: Getty Images/ Chris Graythen)

3. Several years ago, I heard Martin Walker interviewed on NPR and I was hooked. 
I wait patiently (??!!) for him to write another book in his wonderful Bruno series. 
The latest is: Fatal Pursuit
Bruno is chief of police in the beautiful village of St. Denis.
The characters are "characters", Balzac is a wonderful dog, the food sounds delicious.
There is history of the area and of France ... this time WWII and a missing Bugatti.
A little bit of everything including gardening by the lunar calendar.
This is a mystery series I really enjoy.


4. Every time I go to the grocery, I always stop and check out the flowers.
If there are carnations, they come home with me.
This time, they are pretty in pink!



Still Life


5. All wrapped and ready for the baby shower this weekend.
Done! 



Gift
 
Wishing YOU well and much joy!

Home Sweet Home

Willy Nilly Friday

Five On Friday



















SaveSave

23 comments:

Pam Richardson said...

I enjoyed your "this and that"! A friend gave me a three month subscription to Birch Box, it was fun to receive! Beautiful carnations! Pam @ Everyday Living

Rosie said...

So many lovely things. the box contents look interesting and I like the sound of the Martin Walker books. Those pink carnations are so pretty. Have a lovely weekend:)

riitta k said...

Your pink carnations are so pretty!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Subscription boxes make it Christmas ever month!

Tanya Breese said...

it's amazing how many subscription boxes there are isn't it?! i was doing "taste the world" (or something like that) for a while but when we moved it messed up my account for deliveries and i just never bothered to correct it but i did enjoy it. i would like to try out birchbox. my son signed up for a fishing box and my husband does the dollar shave club. the texas box sounds fun! thank you for linking and have a wonderful weekend!!

mamasmercantile said...

Beautiful carnations and I love the idea of a box of local goodies, such fun.

Tom said...

I hope that you are staying cool, this yankee is darn HOT!

Mascha said...

Wonderful carnations, I like their smell und the beautiful bowl with the bird by the side.
I'm so curious and like surprises, I would like to get different boxes. It's a great thing to opens them...I can be lucky a a child.
Enjoy your weekend

Sharon said...

I love the idea of the 'Texas' box. How good it is to get out and promote all things local - nice that they give back too. Not sure what box a friend at work used to subscribe too but she used to share her goodies with us. She got some interesting items.

Have a great weekend

Ida said...

We tried one of those box things (Graze.com) and it was okay, but we just felt the samples you got were so small for the price you paid that we didn't want to continue subscribing. - The Texas one you got sounds interesting.
I'm not into the Tour de France but I bet the countryside there is lovely. I'm waiting for the Professional Bullriding to return in August.
Carnations are my favorites too.

Amy at love made my home said...

Enjoy your box of goodies! Very tasty I am sure. Hope that the shower is fun! Thank you for joining Five On Friday, I hope you have a great weekend! xx

Anonymous said...

That Texas box looked fun. I'm writing down the info on that mystery series to see if my library has it. Thanks for the recommendation.
Hope you have a lovely weekend.

Lisa from @intotheglade said...

The Texas box looks like it is full of goodies. I like the Tour De France too, but what terrible news from Nice yesterday - just dreadful. The carnations are so pretty, I love pink ones too. Enjoy the baby shower and have a lovely weekend xx

Linda said...

Such a fun post and your photos are lovely! The boxes look like a fantastic concept! I would enjoy opening them as well. Finding things in Google can be very enjoyable. :)

Latane Barton said...

Oh my goodness, what fun opening a month (is it every month or just when you order?) It would be like Christmas and a birthday all rolled into one... and I loved what you received.

A Colorful World said...

Those gift boxes would be fun! I may have to try it some time...I love getting packages in the mail! Pretty carnations. And the book sounds interesting too.

faith76 said...

Gorgeous flowers. I like the box you have received and a good selection too. Leah xx

Teresa Kasner said...

I took it from your post you're in Texas? I couldn't find that info in your "About Me". I am visiting via Amy's Five on Friday. I live in Oregon on an old farm place in the Columbia River Gorge. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Angela M - Garden Tea Cakes and Me said...

What wonderful carnations they are so big and blousy you could almost think they were Peonies - beautiful.

Five on Friday


Angela - Garden Tea Cakes and Me

Patsy said...

Great shot of the Tour de France. Neat perspective.

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Neat about the box of locally made items - and so awesome they "give back" to the hungry. That's my favorite way to shop for items. So old fashioned, what a shame there's not more of it - one can only hope!

Thank you for your recent visit and well wishes - means so much to me. ♥

The Charm of Home said...

I just looked at subscription boxes too. I didn't realize there were so many! Enjoy yours! Thank you for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

handmade by amalia said...

So many things that I like in one mail - pretty flowers, packages that come in the mail, gift wrapping and, yes, following the Tour de France as well (but not running after the riders in neon green briefs).
Amalia
xo