Sunday, December 8, 2013

Happy Bodhi Day




Where ever Buddhism has traveled, 
it has picked up customs and bits of culture from each country.
Bodhi Day - the day Gautama achieved enlightenment is celebrated on December 8.

I've done a little incorporating of holidays -- compassion bringing them together.


Bodhi Day

The Christmas tree is all set up to celebrate Yule, Christmas and other Holy Days.
On December 8 the lights will represent enlightenment.
Multicolored lights representing the many paths that may be taken to enlightenment.
Under the tree, a Buddha as he sat under the Bodhi tree.

I plan on spending the day quietly.
Some meditation.
Curling up with the kitties to stay warm.
A cup of tea -- or two.
A candle glowing.
A wish for peace for all.




13 comments:

Cindy said...

The Bodhi Tree also known Bo,
Thanks for the little lesson today. I went and read and found out why the tree is called Bodhi tree. Imagine standing under staring with unblinking eyes at it for a week.

I'd better get my tree up I"m feeling a little guilty. Enjoy your day quietly
Cindy

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I've learned something new today and I wish you peaceful enjoyment of yours Snap.
Judith

Kim Mailhot said...

Enlightenment and peace, what a beautiful combination for a fine Sunday ! Enjoy your sweet space, Lovely One !

Anonymous said...

I love how you incorporate your celebrations at this time, and that you will turn on the lights today for Bodhi...for enlightenment. May you find bliss and peace in your meditations and your quiet day.

ACreativeDreamer said...

This is lovely Snap. I'm right there with you on how I'm celebrating today... there is ice all over the windows and I'll be sipping tea steeped in a little red pot, all snuggled up to the doggie, who seems most willing to cuddle on this cold winter day!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

"Multicolored lights representing the many paths that may be taken to enlightenment" -- love it!

Dorothy Borders said...

I love that sentiment. And a happy Bodhi Day to you, too. Stay warm.

Michelle said...

I really like your tradition.

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I hope you enjoyed your day! The reading that I have done about Buddhism has taught me a lot and helped me set some new intentions. I like the idea of blending different traditions, all based on compassion. Blessings to you, Snap.

My Little Home and Garden said...

I hope that the day was spent in just the way you had intended.

-Karen

Anonymous said...

Sounds and looks perfect. xox

Unknown said...

Happy bodhi day to you back.

followed.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love your multicultural approach to the season!