Thursday, October 15, 2009

Postcard Friendship Friday

Our delightful postmistress Marie arranges Postcard Friendship Friday.

This time last year we visited Natchez, Mississippi
and a grand time was had by all!
Here are a few of the postcards I brought home with me --
a wonderful way to remember our trip.



There is a Fall Pilgrimage in Natchez every year.
They open some of the beautiful old homes that are privately owned
to the public.
This card shows some of the homes that are open year round:
The Rosalie, Stanton Hall, Longwood, Donleigh, Melrose and Glen Auburn
all historical mansions in Natchez.


This post card reads: "Riding in a typical 'surrey with the fringe on top' is a grand way to see the elegant antebellum mansions in downtown Natchez. Many are situated on the crest of a hill, so that they are pleasingly displayed."




We flew into Jackson, Mississippi and rented a car
driving to Natchez along the Natchez Trace.

The back of this card reads: " During the late 1700's and early 1800's thousands of travelers walked the Natchez Trace, a primitive pathway through the Choctaw and Chickasaw Indian Nations. The trip of nearly 500 miles between Natchez and Nashville required as much as four weeks. In places the trail was eroded deeply into the land giving rise to the term 'sunken trace.'"

The Trace is now a two lane parkway that winds its way to Natchez from Tennessee. The speed limit is set at 55. There are no conveniences along the road except for an occasional rest stop with "facilities". No gas stations. Very little traffic. You have Mother Nature all to yourself. Lots of wildlife. It is beautiful.


"Inns were erected along the Trace with encouragement from the Government, and were usually run by half-breed Indians or white men with Indian wives. The Parkway is administered by the National Park Service, U. S. Department of the Interior."

I hope you enjoyed this short visit along the Trace to Natchez.

Be sure to visit Marie for other Postcard Friendship Friday posts.

18 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hey There, Natchez is one place I never have visited. I keep seeing people's pictures from there so I know I would love it. Thanks for sharing. The postcards are GREAT.
Hugs,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

This seems so exotic and beautiful to me, because I haven't spent any time in the South. It makes me want to go there. Thanks!

steviewren said...

I've never been there either and it's not that far away. It looks like you had a wonderful trip.

Postcardy said...

It looks like it would be fun to see from a surrey.

Crafty Christina said...

Great postcards! I have a soft spot for postcards. They capture so much in a single picture and do provide amazing memories.

McGillicutty said...

Lovely postcards, we are just starting our own collection and have joined postcrossing. So much fun and lots to learn for my girls.
Don't you just adore the South???

Sherry said...

Doesn't this look like a most picturesque place to visit...like it's from the pages of history just waiting for you to "step in"!

Tes said...

You bought some lovely postcards, Snap! You are so fortunate to have gone to Natchez. It will definitely be in my list of places to see -so beautiful!

I would love to join this meme, I'll check it out. I collect postcards of all sorts :)

Aimee said...

These are beautiful. We drove through Mississippi on our way to Florida earlier this year. Nice!

maryt/theteach said...

Snap, thank you so much for sharing the trip to Natchez. I've been to the south only once and I must get myself to visit again. Such a beautiful part of the country! BTW I'm a Gemini too! :)

Janet said...

I've read about Natchez but never been there. Your postcards make me want to visit....especially those old mansions!

Madeleine Miranda said...

Postcard Friday is such a great idea!

Love you blog, please do step by and have a look at mine if you get the chance :)

The Bodhi Chicklet said...

How do you know so much?! It is always an eye opener to read your posts. I come away feeling edified!

Mescrap said...

Thanks for sharing such wonderful series of postcards.

Beth Niquette said...

How very lovely! Happy Pff!

fortuitous faery said...

never been to mississippi! those postcards are just lovely.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

That top postcard is absolutely gorgeous. The one of the sunken trace reminds me very much of the sunken lanes in Hampshire in England. I hope they haven't destroyed them all, because many of ours in Hampshire are disappearing.

Marie Reed said...

Ahhhh! What a wonderful stroll down memory lane:) I was born in Mobile, Alabama so I know Natchez well! I can almost feel the wonderful humid weather!