Monday, January 5, 2009

Creative Weekend

I had a creative weekend that I hope will continue into the week. With dark, cloudy, cold weather, it is the perfect time to stay indoors and play! I had a dream. It was about my favorite niece (the daughter of one of my best buddies). Then I got an email from her Mom telling me my dream was right on. So I hit my stash of baby yarn.


Stash of Yarn



This is what I have so far. Sort of an afghan jigsaw puzzle! Granny squares in different sizes all put together. I figured when I ran out of yarn in one color, I'd just continue on with another. What do you think? It is so soft. I'm having fun with it, but am sad that I put up the lacy stole once again!

Sunday I decided it was time to put together a journal. I have lots of composition books and thought I could recycle them into a journal. I hate to go out and buy some more paper. I love paper and between Mr. Dragon and me -- we are being overrun by art paper! I'm making a list of things to order from Dick Blick. Mr. Dragon will start another art class at the end of the month and between the two of us I'm sure we'll have a nice size order.



So I pasted pages together on Sunday. And pasted. And pasted.

If this works out, I'm going to make a cover like one that was in this month's
Cloth, Paper, Scissors
from an old embroidered dish towel.
Recycle, Recycle, Recycle!



This is what I worked on this (Monday) morning. Sorry about the picture. Someday the scanner will be working! My word for the year is Listen. I need to listen FULLY. I think I'm a good listener, but sometimes I respond too quickly -- sort of miss the real point -- if you know what I mean! I also need to listen to what the universe is telling me -- or hitting me over the head. Yo! Girl! Listen up! The word for the month of January is PLAY (thanks Leah). The little birds have musical notes on their bodies. I'm happy with my first page and it was FUN!

4 comments:

Pat - Arkansas said...

I envy you your quickness in needle work. I could work for a month and not have that many squares. Pretty.

I like your journal. To say that I have a surplus of art papers would be a massive understatement. I am a horder, and very much dislike cutting or tearing into something I really like. So, the pile builds! :(

Does Mr. Dragon *take* art, or *teach* art?

It's still freezing rain here. The temps didn't get high enough to melt anything. Humbug!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Yay! Lots of good creative play and LISTENING is something I need to do better too! I love the afghan!

Snap said...

Pat,

Mr. Dragon is taking art classes at Glassell - the art school affiliated with the MFA,H. He took a You Too Can Draw community college class before he retired and when he discovered he could draw -- decided to go for it when he did retire. This will be his third class. I will post some of his art work from last semester soon.

Mary,
Thanks for visiting! Come again soon. Fellow *yarners* always welcome!

juliaD said...

Hi Snap,
Thanks for the new word...
I like it...I'm going to say it to myself from now on...
"i'm getting better"...xx